Drunk driving is an epidemic that affects communities across the United States. Throughout the nation, drunk driving causes injuries and fatalities to both victims and perpetrators alike. It’s important to possess a thorough working knowledge of the dangers and realities of drunk driving so that you and your loved ones can make informed decisions before getting behind the wheel.
Working with qualified attorneys in Cincinnati, OH is the best way to overcome drunk driving charges, if you or your loved one find yourself in a position where you’re facing legal action. Be sure to consult with your legal counsel about all of your available options upon receiving your charges.
Here are just a few things to keep in mind about drunk driving:
- Repeat offense: Drunk drivers will drive an average of 80 times before being caught. This means that drivers should always remain extra vigilant—there’s always a chance that you’re sharing the road with someone under the influence of alcohol.
- Always a reason: Drunk drivers are very rarely stopped just because they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time—data shows that the driver in question did something to draw the attention of law enforcement. In most cases, this put themselves and those sharing the road in substantial danger.
- Driving illegally: Even after having their licenses revoked, between 50 percent and 75 percent of drunk drivers continue to drive intoxicated after their release. This is why many states and jurisdictions require the installation of a breath-activated locking device on vehicles even after a first drunk driving offense.
- Leading cause of death: Traffic accidents are the leading cause of death for teenagers in the United States. It’s estimated that a third of those accidents involve alcohol or other intoxicating substances. Additionally, when teens consume alcohol at a young age, they’re seven times more likely to be involved in an alcohol-related accident.
- High fatality rates: Nearly 60 percent of traffic-related deaths in 2014 were intoxicated drivers between the ages of 21 and 34. This reinforces the idea that drunk driving is one of the nation’s leading causes of death among young people, and that communities and policy makers should address it as a public health crisis.
If you, your friends or your loved ones are considering driving while intoxicated, understand that the decision could have long-lasting or even life-threatening consequences for yourself and everyone around you. Avoid driving drunk by appointing yourself or one of your friends as the designated driver, or by planning to take public transportation or a taxi service after your evening out. Ride hailing apps are making it easier than ever before to get home safely. Additionally, many cities and states offer ride hailing discounts on high-traffic nights, like New Year’s Eve.
Herzner Law, LLC has been serving as attorneys in Cincinnati, OH since 2013. We’re proud to provide each and every one of our clients with quality legal representation and trusted counsel. Reach out to one of our highly qualified representatives today to learn more.
Categorised in: Uncategorized