The winter holidays are fast approaching, and with holidays come travel. We all love to be with our family and friends, but inclement weather, opportunistic thieves and flu season make it a good time to take extra safety precautions. Stay safe with these holiday travel safety tips in Cincinnati, OH, whether you’re heading to destinations near or far:
- Always use a designated driver: If you’re going to be drinking or doing anything else that affects your sobriety, use a designated driver. Too many holidays are ruined forever when impaired drivers get behind the wheel. If you are accused of a DUI or OVI, call the team at Herzner Law, LLC for skilled legal assistance.
- Secure your home: Before you leave, make sure all home security measures are engaged and working properly, including cameras, alarm systems, motion detecting lights and more. Ensure all batteries are fresh, and consider putting indoor lights on a randomized timer. Have your mail held with the postal service. Ask a neighbor to keep an eye on your house, as well as pick up any packages that might linger on your porch, indicating that you’re not home.
- Make sure your car is in top shape: If you’re going to drive any long distances, especially in stormy weather, your car needs to be ready. Address any mechanical issues and prepare your car with an emergency kit that includes flares, a car jack, flashlights, first aid kit, emergency food and a spare tire, for starters. Keep the gas tank as full as possible, and make sure you know how to handle icy roads.
- Always carry your cell phone and spare battery: Although many of us grew up in a time where a mobile phone was not a necessity, it would be foolish to pass up the opportunity to call for help when it’s needed. External batteries are inexpensive and readily available, so be sure to keep one in your car, along with the required cords. Having a spare wall charger is never a bad idea, either.
- Wash your hands frequently: Washing your hands is the best way to avoid contracting any inconvenient or potentially life-threatening illnesses this winter. Be sure to get your flu shot, and carry a bottle of hand sanitizer.
- Share your plans with a trusted person: What would people need to know if you went missing? Sharing your itinerary and any important documents with a loved one ensures that someone will know where you are. You might also consider photocopying important documents, like your passport and ID, in case you lose your belongings on your trip.
Herzner Law, LLC is a law office serving clients in Cincinnati, OH and the surrounding region 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our primary focus is on clients facing OVI/DUI charges, as well as a range of other legal issues. We’re proud to represent each of our clients with honesty and integrity. Call us today to learn more about how we can help you, and remember to stay safe when traveling in Cincinnati, OH and beyond!
Categorised in: Uncategorized